There is a huge amount of Research into employee participation but there is great confusion concerning what engagement is in the psychological and company literature. Their own research that shows a connection between functionality and engagement has been produced by consultancies and the majority of them have their own models of involvement. Notwithstanding the confusing Body of literature and various definitions of employee participation more of that later, the study is pretty consistent in finding that getting participated workers is a fantastic thing.
Here’s a selection of highlights from the study:
‘Highly engaged workers’
- Are twice as likely as their peers to be performers.
- They overlook 20 percent fewer days of work.
- About 75 percent of them transcend or far exceed expectations in their latest performance review.
‘Improving employee engagement is crucial because engaged workers have’
- 51 turnover
- 27 percent less absenteeism
- 18 percent more productivity
- 12 percent greater profitability
The Gallup Management Group 2008
So what is employee engagement there is a whole lot of confusion and little agreement about what the notion of engagement means. Employee participation is defined by organisations. Some engagement with job satisfaction organisations and talk about commitment, others use the notion of ‘effort’ as a sign that there is a man engaged. There is no universally agreed definition of involvement amongst the employee engagement malaysia. Here’s a choice that represent the most common definitions
- ‘Engagement represents the Energy, effort, and initiative workers bring to their jobs’ Harvard Business Review
- other psychology of how every worker connects with clients and with the organisation’ Gallup
- ‘Staff dedication and a sense of belonging to the organization.’ Hewitt
- ‘Employees’ commitment to the organization and motivation to contribute to the business’s success.’ Mercer
- Employees’ effort of discretionary effort and going past meeting the criteria of this job.’ Hay
The expression engagement’ is a one and also as being decried by some as the HR fad and confusing area due to the lack of clarity of definition. There is no surprise that those that are supposed to be accountable for employee participation often struggle to work out what their job is all about let alone what they should attain. The simple fact is that it is a complicated area because so many variables that are unique determine whether someone is engaged. Those factors include factors external to the individual eg the culture of their organisation, their supervisor, the pay and reward system. They have factors including their values, the individual’s personality type and the meaning they make in their work.